Friday, May 30, 2008

Cucumber Failure

Houston, we have a problem. Things are dieing. The cucumbers, the cabbage, and the majority of the tomatoes.

I'm learning an important lesson here. Heirloom seeds are heirloom seeds for a reason.

Since I've only lived in this area for two summers, I consulted several friends before undertaking this gardening venture. One of them told me the key was heirloom seeds. That the soil was so poor, regardless of how I amended it, the only thing I would have success with was heirloom seeds.

I didn't know how this was going to turn out, so I didn't spend the money on heirloom seeds. I got only one package of them, some tomatoes. They are the only plants of the warmer weather crops I've transplanted outside that are still living. The rest are dead, or heading for the light.

I'm blaming myself for planting them outside too early, but we had a much warmer spring last year, so how was I to know that we'd see one nice 80 degree weekend and then 50's and 60's into June. Ooops.

The one thing I'm having luck with right now is my Spinach. And to think how scared I was of it. Now I get the clippers out twice a week and buzz to my heart's content. I had another large bowlful today. Although they were not heirloom seeds, we are having perfect weather for them. And there is this: The back of the seed packet advised me to mulch them with a high nitrogen formula when they sprung up. So I made my way to the Home Depot and bought a 98cent bag of high nitrogen fertilizer (steer poop) and mulched to my hearts content. (It was not very content, but more appalled by the fragrance). So if nothing else, I will have spinach to show for this effort.

Tomorrow we are having company over and the party is in the back yard. I'm looking forward to explaining why my spinach looks so funny. Kind of sparse and decrepit after I trim it. Anorexic spinach, if you will. That and why the rest of the garden is dead. Except for the back flower bed. It's covered in something viney, which I'm really praying is peas, and not weeds I have mistaken for peas and let go. That could be embarrassing.

No comments: