Monday, June 2, 2008

Broccoli Shockoli

Did you know that broccoli and cauliflower are mulitharvest crops? Did you know they weren't just a once and done kind of thing. I did not know this. I have 25 broccoli and cauliflower plants growing in one of my garden beds.

That's right, 25. I had company over a few evenings ago for my son's first birthday. Someone asked me if "all those plants were broccoli and cauliflower?" (insert slow enunciation and questioning look). When I said yes and excused myself into the house, said guest preceded to explain to my husband that both plants continue to fruit (or vegetable as the case may be) as long as they are cut before they flower.

Ok, I should have done a little research before planting. I give you that much. But the whole experiment of the garden was to see how productive I could be without actually putting forth a lot of formal effort. Like research or planning, for example.

So now my problems are twofold.

1. I now have to learn the appropriate way to cut broccoli and cauliflower before they flower, (google, where are you?)

2. I'm going to have a whole lot of both veggies to figure out what to do with, (fingers crossed that they freeze well). Where is my 1956 Preserving Guide?

3. I get that cauliflower can flower, it is right there in the name. But how can you have a broccoli flower? How does it look in a vase?

No comments: